All my boys!

All my boys!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Moments of Joy


The Last few days I have been very busy! I feel like I have so much to say but I still do not have all the time I would like to write. So here are my short lists. The vital parts of my week since I have last written.

My struggles: gatherings where food is as much part of the event as the people. I have been to two now and have withheld from eating but....I felt like a failure and found myself asking forgiveness. Each time I am faced with food choices that are not fitting the "plan" I have been quite loud in announcing exactly why I could not eat those things. I dramatically, I am sure, looked longingly at the coveted morsel of edible pleasure. Of course It wasn't until much later, like earlier today, as I was reviewing my conversations at one said event that I realized how much of it was focused on the things I could not eat! How dare I! God in his loving and quiet way whispered in my ear "This was your choice! you are not a martyr!" and again "I thought this was about Me?" Sheepishly I say "oh ya"
Allowing myself to get in the way of what God is doing in my life! As usual! Somewhere in the last three days I let the focus on joy part of my month commitment vanish. So the rest of my rantings for the day shall be focused solely on the small moments and big moments of joy!

1. Saturday was an exhausting day for me! It was one of those days where you wake up feeling like it MUST be 4am but it's really 8:30 and you have exactly 45 min to get myself fed, dressed, a lunch packed, and out the door for work. When I returned home I was tired but ready to tackle all the projects at home I had been neglecting because "I'm detoxing" only to remember a commitment I had made to help another family. I was just about to excuse myself from that commitment (which for those who don't know me I NEVER do) When that still small voice reminded me of a blog I had written not a day or two before about finding joy in serving others! The point of this long paragraph is...it works! I dragged 3 (resistant) boys to spend what was left of my Saturday to help sort, pack, clean and haul all the while entertaining babies, and feeding kids, and the family we were helping, the AMAZING smelling pizza I could not eat! Surprisingly...I had SO much fun and was so energized by the time we got home I could not sleep! I was filled with a joy that only comes from serving!

2. I LOVE cooking challenges one of my favorite TV programs is Chopped, every round is a new mystery basket full of odd ingredients the chefs must turn into the winning dish! Food allergies, aversions, dislikes, intolerances??? Bring it!! I had forgotten how much fun I have cooking with so many restrictions! There is nothing like a good challenge to bring out some amazingly creative meals! I get joy from cooking with challenging restrictions.

3. My husband loves me! I get joy from knowing that my marriage is blessed by God

4. I got a massage this week to aid in my detox! I get joy from taking care of myself

5.I got a kiss from a 6 mo old baby girl who has stolen my heart! Children bring me joy!


6. Watching my 8 year old read to a 3 year old. the next day watching my 7 year old "protect" the same 3 year old from my sisters ovrely affectionate dog who can't hold his licker. Watching my boys grow and seeing glimpses of the great men, fathers and husbands they will be fills me with joy!

Here is some scripture that I have been meditating on today great reminders of where our joy comes from and encouragement for when we need it most:

For the LORD comforts Zion; he comforts all her waste places and makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the voice of song.
Isaiah 51:3
How encouraging! He turns all that I ruin and destroy and abuse into something beautiful! Even my "waste" is made perfect in him! My mistakes and selfishness and feeble attempts at obedience are redeemed!

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

It's not about the food!! It's about the King! It's about righteousness and peace and joy!

For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.
Philemon 1:7
I cherish the times when I find joy hiding in the heart of another! I love the time I get to spend with my sisters in Christ! It brings me great joy and comfort knowing that I might be used to refresh the hearts of fellow saints! I had to look up synonyms for refresh! It's one of my favorite things to do with words, remind myself of the depths of their meaning by looking at synonyms here is refreshed for you! (the underlined words have no personal significance they will link to other lists of synonyms on the site I copied this from :>)


brace, breathe new life into, bring around, brush up, cheer, cool, enliven, exhilarate, freshen, inspirit, jog, modernize, prod, prompt, quicken, reanimate, recreate, regain, reinvigorate, rejuvenate, renovate, repair, replenish, restore, resuscitate, revitalize, revive, revivify, stimulate, update, vivify














No comments:

Post a Comment