All my boys!

All my boys!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 3 for me

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11

Today is day 3 for me. If you remember I attempted to do a 3 day complete fast to pray for Topher who is fighting cancer. I am sad to say that although I did devote my prayer time to him, I shortened it to a 24 hr fast and had dinner with my family on the 2nd. I have known that I can not completely fast much longer than that because of the energy my children need me to have, I was however hoping that my resolve would take me further.
So here is how I am doing so far.


Struggles:

Today I happened to be listening to the news (something I hardly ever do) and heard the wonderful accounts of salmonella poisoning by the very same sprouts I have been serving my family all weekend. So please check your sprouts online they originally thought just clover sprouts but it appears that many other varieties have also been affected. We have yet to see any symptoms other than some fevers that I believe are unrelated, as we have also been battling a virus.
In other news, my headache has begun, it has come and gone over the last 24 hrs or so. It is most definitely a sign of needing more water and lack of sugar. I am still drinking coffee so it's not caffeine!


Triumphs:
I have yet to "cheat"! I picked up some unsweetened almond milk for my coffee addiction. I am drinking only 1 cup a day. Today I have already consumed 32 oz of water and will be herbal tea and water the rest of the day. As for my prayer time and bible study I am focusing on a word study of Joy. I have not ever fully done aword study so some tips and ideas would be great! I am using BLB to read any and every passage containing joy. I have noticed that most references to joy include other people for example :
For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.
Philemon 1:7

For what thanksgiving can we return to God for you, for all the joy that we feel for your sake before our God,
1 Thessalonians 3:9


There are many many more but it is a great reminder that when we take our focus off ourselves and look at what God is doing in others lives we will naturally be filled with the joy of the spirit. As I decided to track my months joy and my progress on the Daniel Fast. I realized I wanted to share with you what God is teaching me along the way.

Lesson Number One:
Stop focusing on yourself so much and look at what God is doing in lives around you!


Joy Thief Number One: Naval gazing! Also known as self focus or selfishness.

Application: Stop worrying about yourself and what is happening in your own life for a while. I don't mean ignore your responsibilities or what God is doing in your life, rejoice in them! But get some perspective, look outside and see the beauty in others! Stand beside someone who needs someone to lean on, go spend time with a neighbor who's driveway is always empty or who never leaves home. Stop and talk to that lady on the corner holding the sign. Or the quiet man sitting in the open alone behind you. Bring some joy into someone else's life, share a funny story on FB, encourage a friend who is struggling with life's challenges. Be a listener and look for opportunities in your community to bless someone with the joy you have! We all know the blessing of helping others we all can remember the joy we have felt in doing so. It is an easy way to spread and gain some joy! I will be looking at my own home, my own family for ways to share some joy. I personally am an over achiever when it comes to helping others and serving others and finding ways to make others laugh. This is often at the expense of my family. I steal time from my own boys and husband to help others. It's time for me to re- focus on my family and find ways to bless them.



Recipes to try: Breakfast: PB and Berry smoothie! About 2 tbs PB, 1/4 cup mixed berries, a handful of fresh spinach, 1/2 cup each apple juice and almond milk. A banana would have been perfect to mix in if I had had one!
lunch: Miso soup! Amounts to your liking of chopped celery, and onion or leak sauted in the bottom of a small pot. Then add about 1/4 of firm tofu in small cubes. 1-2 cups of water or veg. stock, and 2-3 tbs of Miso paste. I currently have mellow red but have used yellow as well. You can usually find it in the cold section of the natural foods section in the grocery store or of course a PCC or other co-op.
Dinner tonight will be a black bean and acorn squash soup! Haven't written out a recipe but I will pass it on when I do :) I am pretty excited to use my new immersion blender for this! LOL

Thank you for reading! I wish you all Joy!


2 comments:

  1. I love that you're sharing recipes too!
    This week I have started back on my green smoothies: 4 cups spinach, 1/2 cup water, 1 banana, 1/2 cup thawed blueberries. Tastes just like the blueberries and bananas and it's like drinking a salad! I am intrigued by adding peanut butter... good protein?

    ReplyDelete